Background HTML Whitewashed

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Things are Just Heating Up

Time for a medical update x 2!

First, Dad's pneumonia is improving (that's what he says), but the doctor increased his steroids and put him on another antibiotic this afternoon. Not sure who I believe, but I'm guessing that dad's idea of improving isn't the same as the doctors! He does feel sort of okay. As long as he's relaxing in the recliner and taking his meds! No hiking around Texas (or the Gaylord) for another week or two (or three...)

Mom won't be hiking anywhere for awhile either. Her left ankle has ballooned up again (never actually went down from last week), and started turning a suspicious shade of red yesterday. And it was getting painful. Enough reason for a trip to the doctor today.

It definitely is something, but the doctor's just not sure what. Looks like a case of cellulitis, but he doesn't think it is, but then said there's really not much else it could be. So after some chin-scratching, he put her on antibiotics too.



And this is after a crummy two days with the typical Gemzar reaction. Fever, flu-like aches and fatigue. So, no, I think hiking anywhere right now is out of the question.

Not that we'd really want to go hiking anywhere anyway. 103 in the shade and nary a breeze to be found. Ahhh, summertime in Texas. Remind me come January.

The heat may be addling the raccoon brains too. We're up to lucky #13 as of this morning. Where are they coming from? We're even catching them without bait. No joke. Last Thursday I had to leave the house early to get mom to chemo, so I decided not to bait the trap the night before. Lo, and behold, what should greet me when I woke up? The rattle of the trap door and one onery coon. I think she was madder than most, because after all the hype from her friends, she fell for the trap and didn't even get a treat. That stinks.

We talked all the way to Deep Creek. I tried to impart some age-old wisdom. If all your friends were jumping off a bridge would you jump too? I think maybe she would...

No comments: