Background HTML Whitewashed

Monday, February 20, 2012

Wicked Divas

A Sunday afternoon of fun and music, laughter and cupcakes.  It was an afternoon at the Bass!  Truly joyful, even through the tears.  It was another exercise in moving on without mom.  I am so blessed for the legacy she left, a love of family, a love of the arts and a love of music...

And so it was Bass Hall, the Ft. Worth Symphony, Katie, myself and Wicked Divas!


Amazing vocalists, fabulous music and a touch of wicked humor.  Just what I needed on my first trip back to the Pop Series without mom.  So, yes, there were tears, especially when we made it to our seats.  The last time we sat here, mom was nudging my elbow and whispering in my ear through the whole performance, rising to give a standing ovation.  How to make peace with the gut-punch realization that she's gone?   Every now and then it just overwhelms - that missing, that longing to touch, to see, to hear... 

But, I have been blessed with the soulful beauty of a daughter who understands, and was there to walk with me through the minefield.  Hallelujah, we made it out alive, if not a bit tattered emotionally...  And along the way, the music shimmered over us.  The lyrics simply fed a hunger in my soul.  Did they know I'd be there in seat K-1?  Needing to hear just that song, those notes?

The Ft. Worth Symphony welcomed 2 well-known Broadway Divas to their stage this weekend.  Alli Mauzey and Julia Murney have both played on the long-running Broadway show, Wicked.  Such light and energy, they brought the music to life.  It was simply a pleasure to take in.  The sang a variety of numbers from several well-known classics, from My Fair Lady to Ragtime to Phantom of the Opera.  It was pure escape from the realities of life!

And it wouldn't have been a Wicked Diva show if they hadn't included numbers from that wonderful Broadway musical, Wicked.  Anyone care to join me for a trip to New York City?  Katie and I have vowed to get to Broadway, and soon!

Alli and Julia closed the symphony with the song, "For Good," from Wicked.  I had never really taken in the words before...

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you

Like a comet pulled from orbit
As it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder
Halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you
I have been changed for good


Because I knew you I have been changed for good....
 
Oh, words for my aching soul.  Mom, it's true.  Because I knew you, because I was blessed to be your daughter, I have been changed for good.   Yes, tears, but, refreshing still; there's the missing, but the knowing.  Because I knew you I have been changed for good.  I am blessed.

And blessed more with the sparkling eyes of a daughter who spied the new bakery, The Cupcakery, across the street from the Bass Hall.  Oh yes, it's a chocolate cupcake for us!


So delicious!



There's a little Wicked Diva in all of us!  Maybe one cupcake is not enough!

Blessings of Grace to you, Jane



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're doing great Jane! Keep it up!

Chris

Anonymous said...

You are so kind, my spirit is cheered to hear from you! Thinking of you often and praying for Jen and Jackie. Let them know they are on my heart. Blessings to you, Jane